Hole in the Woods FarmOwner: Chad Gard
6738 E 750 N
Culver, IN 46511
daytime phone: (833) 574-3663
Web site: http://www.holeinthewoodsfarm.com
Application Date: 2022-05-26
- Your Name *
- Chad Gard
- For how many years have you managed or worked on a CNG-certified farm? *
- How many years of experience total do you have managing a farming operation that’s managed according to CNG/organic principles (whether certified or not)? *
- Please indicate the place/s where you have farmed, including farm name, town, state, and country. *
- Hole in the Woods Farm Culver, IN USA
Types of Farming & Expertise
- Please check the box corresponding to the types of operations with which you have at least three years of experience.
- What type of training have you received in farming practices (on-farm and off-farm)? *
- GAPS/FSMA CNG SRI training Purdue Univ. workshops for small farms (dozens)
- Please briefly describe your experience with mentoring, training, or advising other farmers, if any.
- As the market master for the Culver Farmers' Market, a member of the Marshall County Food Council (executive committee and farm to table committee), as well as a farmer quite visible in our local foodie and producer communities, I am frequently one of the first people that come to mind for are farmers getting started. As such, I have frequently advised other farmers on techniques, business practices, planning, etc. As market master, I am often called upon to verify regulatory compliance, as well as compliance with market rules. I have also served as an informal mentor for a handful of startup farmers.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most proud of? *
- Our adherence to our ethical and philosophical ideals. We founded our farm on the basis of building community, restoring ecology, building equity, and celebrating diversity and flavor. While our farm has grown and evolved over the years in ways both planned and unexpected, we have always maintained our commitment to those founding ideals.
- What aspect of your farming operation are you most known for? (This could be a particular crop beloved by customers or an uncommon production method that other farmers would appreciate.) *
- Variety of crops. While we focus primarily on vegetables, we grow over 450 varieties of them! We also currently produce lamb, nuts, fruits, and mushrooms, always focusing on interesting varieties that put flavor first.
- What do you appreciate about Certified Naturally Grown?
- The community spirit, collegiality, and continued opportunities to learn from each other.
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know.