Back 40 FarmOwner: Lecia Knapp
1774 Fords Bush Spur Road
Fort Plain, NY 13339
daytime phone: (315) 867-7434
Application Date: 2018-01-28
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- I love having a great big garden every year. I usually just share with friends and family. They suggested I should grow a little bit more, and sell at farmers markets locally.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- My mother
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Roughly 1 acre
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- 1 acre
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- 1 acre
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- PTO driven rototiller.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- If yes, please note general sources (local dairy, horse farm, etc.): *
- I spread cleanings from the barn and till each year after harvest
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 15 wheel barrow loads per 1 acre
- What time of year do you apply the manure? *
- late fall after harvest.
- Do you apply any non-composted Manure within 120 days of veg-crop harvesting? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- I do not use any other fertility sources.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have a small tiller i till weeds out of walkways with and a tool to pull weeds out from other spots.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have used Diatomaceous earth to fight off squash beetles.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- I have lost tomato plants to blight and but all I did was pull out the affected plants and gave them to the animals in the pasture.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- water from my drilled well
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Are they grown using Naturally Grown/Organic methods? *
- If they're not grown according to CNG methods, please list them here. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown. (If they are, put "N/A") *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Sometimes, if my transplants don't make it (peppers and tomatoes) I will go to Annutos nursery and purchase organic or naturally grown plants.
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- I read the lable and make sure it says organic, or I will ask
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- The garden is behind my house which is North of the garden. Its about 100 yards behind my house. In front of the house is the main road about another 70 yards out. To the east about 50 yards is a vacant Amish lot. Every few years they round bale it, but do not use it for anything else. To the south, there is about four acres of our own hay field that is not sprayed, with a thick wooded area that goes another 9 acres or so back adjacent to an Amish corn field. To the west is another Vacant lot about 80 yards wide to a hedgerow adjacent to an Amish alfalfa field.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- Gardening and canning is my biggest Hobby? I cannot wait to be able to sell naturally grown produce locally and make a profit with the job I love!!