Ellijay MushroomsOwner: Howard Berk
1971 Old Flat Branch Rd
Ellijay, GA 30540
daytime phone: (678) 570-6888
Web site: http://ellijaymushrooms.com
Application Date: 2018-09-16
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program. *
- We love all the local CNG farms and we want to join the movement! We will be growing Shiitake Mushrooms. Also our new clients ask for farms to be CNG.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Please note which certification and agency. *
- Primus Certified.and working on Organic
- Have you held any certification/s in the past that you don't currently hold? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- I see yall everywhere and everyone wants to be CNG
- How did you learn to grow mushrooms, and for how long have you been growing them for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
- Check all types of mushrooms you intend to certify. Please include any types you intend to grow or harvest in the coming 24 months. *
- Other types you'll be growing, not listed above:
- Are there any mushroom types you grow or harvest for which you are NOT seeking certification? Please list all such types, and explain why you are not seeking to certify them.
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please specify what other markets (if any).
Substrate, Supplements, and Other Materials
- For each type of mushroom you produce, tell us about your substrate. (Put "N/A" or leave blank for any type you don't produce). Please indicate in the appropriate box below: 1) what you use for substrates and supplements (if any) and 2) the sources of these materials. Include names of products and distributors where appropriate. If any substrate is obtained from a non-commercial source, please describe that source.
- Shiitake (Lentinula)
- Sawdust , organic Calcium Sulfate, Wheat Bran and water
- Oyster (Pleurotus)
- WHeat straw and oyster mycelium
- King stropharia, garden giant, wine cap (Stropharia)
- Reishi (Ganoderma)
- Enoki, velvet foot (Flammulina)
- Maitake, hen of the woods (Grifola)
- Butterscotch mushroom (Nameko)
- Lion's mane, pom-poms (Hericium)
- Chicken of the woods (Laetiporus)
- White button, portabella (Agaricus)
- Other (please specify)
- Did you remember to indicate, for each of the substrates and supplements noted above, the sources of these materials? You may use this space to say anything else about the substrates you're using or may want to use in the future.
- Do your substrates include corn, soy, cotton seed hulls, or other byproducts of crops that are grown commercially in GMO form? *
- Do you use logs as a substrate? *
- Do you use wood chips, sawdust, sawdust blocks, or wood pellets? *
- Have you confirmed that these are not chemically treated, nor contain glue or other adhesives? *
- Do you use any of the following items as substrate: cardboard, paper, clothing, municipal compost, wood from rare trees harvested for mushroom production? *
- Do you use manure as a substrate in your mushroom operation? *
- Please describe all sterilization or pasteurization procedures and materials you use. (If none, please put N/A) *
- We receive them ready to grow
- How do you dispose of or re-purpose used substrate? Please indicate current practices as well as any plans you have for how the used substrate may be put to further productive use. *
- We will be making compost with spend logs.
- How do you ensure that nutrients from used substrate do not leach into waterways? *
- We are far from waterways and block any possible leaching.
Containers, Racks, and Beds
- Please describe the racks and beds used in production (if any). What are they made of? *
- galvanized steel,
- Please describe any containers used for sterilization, and/or pasteurization. What are they made of? *
- we receive logs ready to grow.
- Please describe any containers used for production. What are they made of? If you don't use containers for production (as for log-based production) you may answer "n/a". *
- Were the containers purchased new or repurposed? If re-purposed, please describe how the containers had been used previously, and how you confirmed this with the supplier(s). *
- In your operation, do any of the following materials come into direct contact with any substrate or fruiting bodies?Plastics that contain BPA, polystyrene, treated wood, railroad ties, containers that previously held toxic materials, re-purposed containers that had an unknown prior use *
- CNG Mushroom certification covers cultivated mushrooms, not wild-crafted mushrooms. However, we include this section on the application for two reasons: #1 It is important to us that those who participate in our programs are mindful of the sustainability of the non-certified portions of their operations. #2 We want to give our members the opportunity to be transparent about their wild-crafting practices, and to minimize confusion about which mushrooms are certified.
- Are any of the mushrooms you sell wild harvested (or "wildcrafted")? Yes/No *
- What water contamination experts have you consulted to identify which contaminants are typically found in area water, and determine the tests that should be conducted? Relevant experts may include local or state health department officials, Natural Resource Conservation Service agents, state environmental protection or pollution control agencies, local well drilling and water testing companies. (If you haven't yet done this, please indicate who you will approach, and by when you expect to have completed this program requirement.) *
- Tested water for E Coli. results: <1 (none present). turned out great.
- Have you tested your water at the point of use for heavy metals or other contaminants that were identified by local water quality experts? When? What were the results? (If you haven't yet done this, please indicate by when you expect to have completed this program requirement.) *
- No cause for concern for heavy metal contamination
- Do you use well water to mist or irrigate fruiting bodies? *
- Do you use surface water to soak logs or to irrigate non-fruiting substrate? Surface water includes water from ponds, streams, and reservoirs. *
- Do you ever use surface water to mist or irrigate fruiting bodies? *
- Do you purchase spawn or produce your own or some of each? (If purchased, please list the supplier.) *
- Purchase. QINGDAO KANGLIYUAN EDIBLE FUNGUS PROFESSIONAL COOPERATIVE
- CNG mushroom standards prohibit for spawn production the use of adhesives, byproducts of GMO crops, or other materials prohibited for use as substrate. Are you confident none of these materials were used as a growing media for the spawn? *
Pest & Disease Management
- Describe your primary insect pest challenges AND methods of prevention and control. (Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate actual pest challenges or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage or how you would manage them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used.) *
- we have nat traps when needed. We grow in greenhouses.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of prevention and control. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We follow Primus 3.1 Food safety food policy standards.
Site Location and Buffers
- Is your operation either partially or entirely INdoors? *
- Please describe neighboring land uses to the north, south, east and west of your INdoor operation. *
- North, east and west are natural trees in the wild, nothing is going on. South, a creek divides the land and the road.
- Do these uses pose a risk of drift or contamination? If so, please describe. *
- How does your ventilation and air filtration system prevent possible contamination? *
- we can lift sides of greenhouse for ventilation
- If you share space with other producers, please indicate whether they use synthetic chemicals, and if so, how do you protect your production area from potential contamination? *
- not applicable
- Is your operation either partially or entirely OUTdoors? *
- What measures have you taken to conserve energy, improve energy efficiency, and/or use energy from renewable sources? (This could include system design, siting, insulation, lighting choices, and more.)
- no energy used except to turn on timer for water which is gravity feed. We adjust shade cloth on double hoop house to control temp.
- Please use this space to highlight any other measures you take to reduce the environmental impact of your operation or to make it more sustainable in other ways.
- we don't use chemicals. We recycle and will make compost with old spent logs.
Inspections & Networks
- A core requirement of CNG certification is the on-site peer-review. Getting this completed is facilitated if you're a part of a network of mushroom producers who might serve as your inspector.
- Are you a part of a network (informal or formal) of mushroom producers in your geographic area? *
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that a farm product not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally Grown *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one Inspection of another CNG mushroom producer in my area each year, if there is one within a one hour drive. *
- I understand that the inspection I conduct will NOT be of the same producer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown mushroom certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. If I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your operation.
- We would love for you to come visit our wonderful mushroom farm! See you soon