Produce & Flowers
Masterpiece FlowersOwner: Crystal Giesey
7945 Old Ocean City Rd
Whaleyville, MD 21872
32626 Old Ocean City Rd
Parsonsburg, MD 21849
daytime phone: (410) 845-3700
Web site: http://Www.masterpieceflowerfarm.com
Application Date: 2022-03-02
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We want to connect with other farmers growing naturally. We also like the idea of sending a clear message to our community about or growing practices.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- I’ve been following cng as an organization for many years.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
- I learned through books, the internet, trial and error, and many kind farmers who shared and helped me along the way. I began farming with intention for 7 years now. From the beginning I knew I wanted to grow naturally and sustainably. Farming is a large part of our community, but most farmers here grow corn and soy bean with a lot of chemicals in rotation. From the start I knew this wasn’t for me and looked for something different to peruse.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- 2 acres
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- 20ftx50ft plot of mixed cold hardy roots and greens. In the summer tomato, cucumbers, and peppers.
- Fruit Crops:
- 20x20 Blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry
- Other Acreage:
- All other acreage is cut flower production
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- No till
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- Purchased- a local company call Blue hen organics
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 27 tons on two acres annually
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- We use foliar applications of fox farm products. Kelp, seaweed, big bloom, and tiger bloom
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Grass weeds and dock, we consistently tarp fields between crops and hand weed.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Aphids, blister beetles, thrips, Japanese beetle, and various worms. We use neem oil, organicide, and captain Jack’s when absolutely necessary. We also use ipm with lady beetles and praying mantis releases annually.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Powdery mildew, and occasionally botrytis. We use organicide as needed and directed if there is an issue or copper fungicide once a year preventatives you in the early spring for our peony field.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- We have an agricultural irrigation well.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- We buy from several reputable seed suppliers including Johnny’s, uprising seeds, seed alliance etc.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- If yes, please list types: *
- We sometimes have flower seeds that are pelleted.
- Please note reason for purchasing treated seed: *
- It’s the only way the seed is supplied. Example: lisianthus
- I understand that the use of chemically treated seeds is not allowed under organic and Certified Naturally Grown guidelines. I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe produce grown from treated seeds are Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- ProMix MP Organik
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- From which sources do you buy transplants? *
- Gro n sell and banner greenhouse occasionally
- How have you confirmed with your supplier that the transplants are grown without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- Please list any bought-in transplants not grown according to CNG standards. This produce may not be sold as Certified Naturally Grown (except, in the case of perennials, after twelve months of CNG cultivation). *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Our land buffers are as follows; we have a 30ft land buffer of our land on the south, east, and west of our fields after the 30 feet it is residential housing or roadway. To the north there is our 2 acre buffer with a house and then beyond that is a neighboring grain field.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: