Golden View FarmOwner: Tom and Val Lyons
New Haven, MO
daytime phone: (636) 284-9072
evening phone: (636) 284-9072
Application Date: 2022-01-05
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We believe that being certified adds another layer of accountability to produce excellent pure food to share.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your livestock operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- A friend I swim with shared that her daughter is CNG and loves it. So, I decided to research. I thought the standards lined up with our daily practices of caring for our animals. Therefore, I decided to apply. This is so exciting. We can learn alot and plan to adhere to the standards as we move forward with our farm.
- Your application will be reviewed AFTER we receive a valid Feed Declaration for your farm. We ask you to submit the Feed Declaration within ONE MONTH to ensure your application isn't denied. Check this box to indicate you understand this. *
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
- We research, talk with other farmers, and do alot of studying. We develop a plan and then put it into action. We change practices when needed to better our products while providing an excellent quality of life for our animals. We are enjoying each day of farming.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total farm acreage to be used for pasture and feed crops *
- Number of above acres that you own: *
- Number of above acres that you lease: *
- No lease
- Do you have other acreage in "conventional" agricultural systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Other (please specify below):
- If indicated, please specify how 'other' acres are used
- Please check all items you grow and would like to market as Certified Naturally GrownTM (to certify produce, please complete the separate produce application) *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- Do you use Compost? *
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please note general sources of manure: *
- Cow Rabbit
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- one inch
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s.
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Describe your primary weed problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient(s), what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- We hand weed every day when tending to the garden.
- Describe your primary plant pest problems and methods of control. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s, what kind of product it is (a soap, microbial, oil, a botanical...), and how often it's used. *
- The only pests we have had are little white moths that love our brassicas. I have used diatomaceous earth sparingly. This year we will use row covers.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Rainwater catchment system, natural rain, and well water.
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
Livestock Management and Practices
- Please list all livestock for which you seek certification by type/breed, and indicate how many of each are on the farm today (for example: belted galloways - 20, nubian goats - 5, orpington chickens - 7, frizzle chickens - 3) For animals that have not yet been stocked for the season (e.g. poultry or piglets) please estimate how many you expect to have on farm during the upcoming season. Only list livestock that are (or will be) managed according to CNG standards. *
- Eggs from our chickens.
- I affirm that all livestock listed on this application are raised according to Certified Naturally Grown standards. I further affirm that I will not represent ANY livestock products as Certified Naturally Grown if they have not been raised according to the standards required by Certified Naturally Grown. Any livestock treated with antibiotics or other prohibited substances will be quarantined and sold separately. All livestock are fed feed grown according to CNG standards - without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, and free of any genetically modified grains (GMOs). *
- Have all the livestock been raised according to CNG standards since the last third of gestation or since hatching? *
- Give brief details of your rotation practice for each type and/or group of livestock. (E.g. heifers strip grazing behind electric fence moved daily, 28 day rotation, poultry rotated weekly - 3 pens.) *
- We rotate our grazing areas.
- Do the animals listed above include cows, goats, sheep or other ruminants? *
- Do the animals listed above include poultry? *
- Do your poultry either (a) have a minimum of five square feet per bird of natural, grassy outdoor space or (b) do they have at least two square feet per bird and get moved at least one time per day to fresh new pasture? *
- Do your livestock spend most of their time on pasture during the growing season? *
- Is all feed grown according to Certified Naturally Grown standards (without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides or post-harvest fungal treatments)? *
- For all livestock you seek to certify, please provide more information about the feed. Is it grown locally for you? Purchased in bulk at a mill? Bagged at the feed store? Is it Certified Organic? What brand, if any? *
- Grass-fed grazing. Rotation of grazing areas. Purchased in bulk at a mill. The packaging does not reveal that it is organic.
- Do you buy in some feed? *
- Describe your primary livestock pest problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We do not have pest problems with our chickens. They are healthy and adorable.
- Describe your primary livestock disease problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We do not have livestock problems.
- Provide details of all livestock owned by you, or grazed on your land, that are treated and quarantined on your property *
Seeds and Buffers
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be specific. On all sides, how far is it from your livestock pasture to the next closest use (i.e. road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Specify what is grown on neighboring land in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from a blueberry farm, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- Two acres separate us from our neighbor's farm. We do not live around anyone else.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that livestock not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another ranch or farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same rancher or farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown livestock certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm:
- If we are doing anything that is incorrect, we will change our practices. We are still on our learning curve regarding farming. We will study the standards and adjust practices accordingly. Thank you very much.