Produce & Flowers
Common Ground Farm CollectiveOwner: Sarah Brown
17000 W Ajo Hwy
Tucson, AZ 85735
1528 E Water St
Tucson, AZ 85719
daytime phone: (832) 577-4775
Application Date: 2022-02-01
- Please briefly tell us why you are applying to be part of the Certified Naturally Grown program: *
- We are a new diversified vegetable farm outside of Tucson, Arizona. We believe in growing with organic, regenerative, and natural practices but without the bureaucracy of Organic Certification. We love the peer to peer and grassroots elements of CNG and respect many growers in our area who have earned CNG certification.
- Are you currently third party Certified for your produce operation by any other organization (Organic, Biodynamic, etc)? *
- Have you ever been certified in the past? *
- Have you ever been denied certification? *
- How did you hear about Certified Naturally Grown? *
- From farmer mentors including Rattlebox Farm and Forever Yong Farm.
- How did you learn to farm, and for how long have you been farming for market? What has prepared you to farm successfully according to CNG standards? *
- From my college education and working under mentor farmers in Tucson. I have been growing for market for 6 years. I have worked for many farms who are CNG certified and learned from their practices. Implementing these practices at my own farm will be seamless.
General Farm Information
- Farm Acreage you want listed as Certified Naturally GrownTM:
- Total Farm Acreage you actually GROW on: *
- Number of above acreage that you own: *
- Number of above acreage that you lease: *
- Do you have other acreage in "Conventional" Agricultural Systems? *
- General Listed Acreage Breakdown
- Veg Crops:
- Fruit Crops:
- Other Acreage:
- Please check all items you grow and will market as Certified Naturally GrownTM *
- Please Specify Any Other Items:
- Please check all markets you grow for (this will be displayed on your farm profile to help potential buyers find you). *
- Please Specify Other Markets:
- Wholesale accounts: Pivot Produce and Farm to Institution
Farmland Management and Practices
- Primary Tillage System: *
- Tilled with a disc and tractor for our initial growing season, but will be transitioning to low/no-till in the coming years.
- Do you use Cover Crops? *
- If yes, please list: *
- Solar barley, clover
- Do you use Compost? *
- If yes, please note general sources (on farm, purchased complete, local grass clippings, local dairy, etc.): *
- purchased complete
- Please list application rates. Give a specific amount or range (for example: one to two tons per acre, ten wheelbarrow loads per 1,000 square feet, or 1-2 inches deep). Do not answer "varies". *
- 1-2 inches deep
- Do you use Manure? *
- Please list any other brought in fertility sources that you use (specific rock powders, lime, soybean / alfalfa meal, specific purchased pre-mixes, etc)and how often it's used. If you indicate a name brand product, please also specify the ingredient/s. *
- Neversink Fertilizer Blend (30% Feather Meal, 15% Fish Meal, 15% Alfalfa Meal, 15% Thorvin Kelp, 12% SOP Granular, 12% BioChar) Zinc Sulfate Powder, Ag and Livestock Fertoz Organic Granulated Rock Phosphate Fertilizer 0-20-0 Solubor 20.5% Boron (Sodium Borate) Gypsum Ida-Gro Pelletized
- Have any chemical fertilizers been applied to the fields you are seeking Certification for in the last three years (36 months)? *
- Have any non-acceptable pesticides and/or herbicides been applied to these fields in the last 3 years? *
- Do you use Professional Soil Testing services? *
- Describe your primary weed problems AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual weed challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- Amaranth (pigweed), tumbleweed, bermuda grass, and cheese weed are all well established on the farm. Weeds will be combated with a combination of mowing, burning, cover cropping, grazing, and hand pulling/hoeing.
- Describe your primary insect challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual pest challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We will likely have a variety of insect pressure including: cucumber beetle, aphids, caterpillars, grubs, and tomato horn worms. We will use agribon row cover to protect crops as a first defense. If needed we will use intervention with Omni approved products at most twice a month.
- Describe your primary disease challenges AND methods of control. Do not answer "none". You MUST indicate either actual disease challenges and/or LIKELY challenges, and you must ALSO indicate how you manage (or would manage) them. If you indicate a product, also specify how often it's used. *
- We may deal with powdery mildew and mosaic virus. Our first response will be removing diseased plants from the field to limit disease spread. If needed we will intervene with Omni approved products up to twice per month.
- Please list the water source you use for crop irrigation. If source is public river, pond or lake, please note the name: *
- Well water
- Are there any known contaminants in the irrigation water? *
- Are you a maple producer who seeks to certify your sugarbush? *
Seeds, Transplants and Buffers
- How do you select your seeds? CNG standards call for growers to make a good faith effort to locate organically grown seeds by contacting at least 3 major suppliers. *
- We select seeds primarily from Johnny's Selected Seeds, and always choose Organic seeds when available in the varieties we are looking for.
- Do you purchase or grow using any Genetically Modified seeds? *
- Do you use any chemically treated seeds in your operation? *
- Do you grow your own transplants? *
- Do you purchase potting soil, or do you mix your own on the farm? *
- Mix our own
- What ingredients does your potting mix contain? If you purchase a mix, please also indicate which product. *
- ProMix mycorrhizae, Down to Earth Fertilizer - Bio Live 5-4-2, earthworm castings
- Are all of your transplants grown according to CNG standards, without synthetic fertilizers or wetting agents? *
- If any transplants are not grown according to CNG standards, please list them here. (If they all are, put "N/A".) This produce may not be marketed as Certified Naturally Grown. *
- Do you purchase any transplants from outside sources? *
- Chemical/Spray Drift and Buffers:
- Is there any likelihood of Chemical/Spray drift contamination of your fields? *
- Do you have an adequate buffer to protect yourself from potential contamination? *
- Please describe your buffer. Be as specific as possible. On all sides, how far is it from your crops to the next closest use (road, conventional crop, residential yard)? Be sure to specify what is grown on neighboring land that is in agricultural use. For example: To the north and east, a wooded area of at least 100 yards separates us from the neighbor's corn fields, to the south is a fallow field at least 100 yards deep separating us from the road, and to the west about 60 feet separates our crops from a field where conventional corn and soybeans are grown. *
- To the south is a buffer zone with native vegetation at least 300 ft deep separating us from the road, to the north a fallow field of at least 500 ft separates us from the next agricultural field, to the west a private property at least 300 ft deep separates us from the next agricultural field, and to the east we but up to a wooded buffer at least 200 ft deep separating us from the next residential property.
- Please indicate your agreement with the following statements by checking the boxes.
- I will not label, or in any way lead consumers to believe that produce not raised in accord with CNG standards is Certified Naturally GrownTM. *
- I understand that I have to complete at least one (and hopefully more) Certification Inspection(s) of another farm in my area each year, and that the inspection will NOT be of the same farmer that inspected me. *
- I have reviewed the Certified Naturally Grown certification standards, I understand them, and I will abide by them. I understand that if I have any questions I may contact CNG for clarification. *
- You may use this space to tell us anything else you think we should know about your farm: